The Saudi Diabetes & Endocrine Association (SDEA) Calls to take measures to reduce the risks of Stroke for diabetic patients
On the Stroke Awareness World Day, the SDEA has stressed on the importance of taking measures (therapeutic, dietetic and lifestyle) to save diabetic patients and reduce their risks for stroke as their rate to get stroke is higher than the general population.
Stroke events may happen simple without leaving side effects on patients but sometimes happen in a serious manner and cause paralysis or dysfunction of some parts or functions of the body which will impose negative consequence or patients, their families and society from all the aspects; medical, social, psychological and economical.
Accordingly, the SDEA has called for taking the following measures to save diabetic patients and reduce their risks of stroke:
- Controlling blood sugar within normal levels and consulting medical team in case the blood surges level is out of control
- Maintaining blood pressure and lipids within normal levels and consulting medical team in case the levels will be out of control.
- Adopting healthier lifestyle and avoidance of smoking (active or passive) as smoking increases the risk of stroke and causes other serious health complications.
- Avoidance of alcoholic drinks as these increase stroke risks and cause other serious health problem.
- Practicing regular and moderate exercise; such as brisk walking (30-45) minutes daily.
- Maintaining the body weight within normal range, as obesity increases stroke risk.
- Compliance with the medication regimens set by doctors as these medications support maintaining the blood sugar, blood pressure and lipids within normal ranges
- Consulting doctors on the need for medications that reduce the risk of blood clotting, such as Aspirin
- Following well-balanced and fiber rich diet plan that is low fat, low salt, rich in fruits & vegetables, and whole grains. The diet plan includes non-fat dairy products and foods rich in antioxidants. Foods high in cholesterol should be avoided (such as egg yolk, organ meat, fatty meats and butter) in addition to not using ghee and palm oil. It is advisable also to include more fish dishes in place of red meat to provide the body with Omega 3 fatty acids which help to reduce the risk of stroke
In conclusion: the SDEA has sent educational messages to all diabetic patients to consult their doctors and medical team to assess their risks of stroke and reduce these risks. These messages include the importance of patients to attend to Emergency Centers once experience symptoms of stroke (such as sudden dizziness, numbness in face or arm, unclear speech, sudden disappearance -of vision). In addition, the Scientific Committee of the SDEA calls to work with all parties (government, private) to increase the awareness of patients to reduce their stroke risks and advises patients to take their measures to improve their quality of life and avoid serious health problems.